OVER-THE-COUNTER GUN SALES
Valid State Issued identification is required to purchase a firearm.
Minimum Age to purchase is 18 for shotgun or rifle. Must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun or pistol grip shotgun.
Must Successfully pass FBI NICS background check (w/o Texas LTC see below):
Valid Texas Issued LTC will exempt FBI NICS background checks on firearms purchases.
- Most background checks are "proceeded" instantly, but there is a possibility of being "delayed" up to 3- business days. As of November 2022, 18-20 year olds will be automatically delayed for up to 10 business days.
- If you've ever been delayed in the past, background checks will typically always get delayed
- In the event you are delayed, you will need to wait until the background check proceeds or goes Open.
- If you the background check is Denied, a $50.00 fee will be assessed, but will be applied as a credit towards the next purchase if the denial is successfully appealed.
ATF Form 4473 (Over-the-Counter Firearms Transaction Record) must be filled out every time you purchase a firearm, even with a Texas LTC:
Rifles or Shotguns may be sold to out of state residents, provided all laws concerning the sale or possession of that firearm are maintained in that jurisdiction.
By Federal Law handguns sold over the counter at Champion Firearms must be to Texas residents only--
- For out of state residents, handguns must be shipped to your local FFL dealer for legal transfer;
- Similarly, some states (not Texas) require all long guns to be shipped back to local FFL's for legal transfer.