OVER-THE-COUNTER GUN SALES
Valid State Issued identification is required to purchase a firearm.
Minimum Age to purchase is 18 for shotgun or rifle. Must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun or pistol grip shotgun.
Must Successfully pass FBI NICS background check (w/o Texas LTC or CHL, see below):
Valid Texas Issued CHL / LTC will exempt FBI NICS background checks on firearms purchases.
- Most background checks are "proceeded" instantly, but there is a possibility of being "delayed" up to 3- business days;
- If delayed, we will contact you the minute it is proceeded;
- If you've ever been delayed in the past, background checks will typically always get delayed;
- In the event you are delayed, be prepared to wait for legal clearance. Otherwise, please do not purchase a firearm.
ATF Form 4473 (Over-the-Counter Firearms Transaction Record) must be filled out every time you purchase a firearm, even with a Texas CHL / LTC:
Rifles or Shotguns may be sold to out of state residents, provided all laws concerning the sale or possession of that firearm are maintained in that jurisdiction.
- Sorry, we are not allowed to simply "keep them on file", adding new gun purchases to old forms,
- Form 4473 paperwork helps to ensure prohibited persons (i.e. convicted felons) don't acquire firearms and is not gun registration, which is only performed at the state level;
- TEXAS IS NOT a state that requires firearms registration.
By Federal Law handguns sold over the counter at Champion Firearms must be to Texas residents only--
- For out of state residents, handguns must be shipped to your local FFL dealer for legal transfer;
- Similarly, some states (not Texas) require all long guns to be shipped back to local FFL's for legal transfer.